Do you feel confused when writing essays? Do you always fail to capture the reader’s attention? No worries, it happens sometimes. Sometimes, the essay you write is flat and lacks some points that make it engaging to the reader. The solution to this problem of yours is a satirical essay. This type of essay uses humour, hyperbole, exaggeration, sarcasm, and irony to criticise a subject or make it funny. This type of writing makes your essay more engaging and helps you capture the reader’s attention immediately.
However, do you know how to write a satirical essay? Most probably not, because if you knew, you would not be here reading this article. Well, in today’s post, we will unpack all the writing tips for this essay. However, before moving towards the tips, let’s define this essay and explain its features. So, let’s get started with the topic by defining it.
What is a satirical essay?
A satirical essay is a term that emerged from a literary device known as “satire.” This essay is generally aimed at criticising a person for his vices, wrongdoings, or shortcomings. However, the criticism is not always direct. The writer of this essay uses a funny way to do this. He employs humour and irony to criticise the person. This type of essay is generally written to shed some more light on political and social issues. Basically, this essay pokes fun in an extremely humorous and sarcastic manner.
Main features of a satirical essay
Like every other genre of writing, this type of essay writing also has some features. It is really important for students to follow the features of this essay if they want it to be perfect. So, what are the main features of a satirical essay? A brief description of all the features is given as follows:
- Satire essays mostly rely on the use of irony, juxtaposition, and humour to explain the essay topic. This makes it different from other essays.
- The main feature of this essay is that it is based on reformation. However, criticism is always ethical. There is no place for unethical reformation in this essay.
- The presence of humour is very important in this essay. The humour makes the harsh sentences soft and presents the view in a soft manner.
- Such essays are usually directed towards the community. They do not target individuals. The main target of these essays are politicians, adulterers, and prideful.
- The satirical essay makes the reader aware of the foolishness they are committing by writing on the issue in an exaggerated way.
Top writing tips for writing a satirical essay
After reading the definition and features of this essay above, you have got to know many things about it. However, you still do not know how to write this essay. Therefore, it is now time to discuss the top writing tips for writing a satirical essay. Hence, a brief description of all the tips is as follows:
- Choosing an essay topic. The first step in writing this essay is about choosing a topic. The first tip is about what kind of topic you should choose. When writing this essay, try to choose a topic which is already ironic and ridiculous. Your goal is to bring out the absurdity in your topic. Hence, choose an ironic topic.
- Use hyperbole in the essay. Hyperbole is a literary device that exaggerates facts and makes them look bigger as compared to what they are in actuality. For example, “Andy drinks tons of coffee every day.” The word “tons” exaggerates the amount of coffee here. So, use hyperbole effectively in this essay. However, if you cannot, you can always ask for some help from any cheap essay writing service.
- Use irony to present ideas. The 3rd tip for writing a perfect satirical essay is to make use of irony to present ideas. The irony is the use of such phrases and groups of words that expresses the opposite of what you mean. For example, “He is kind enough to steal from the poor.” The word “kind enough” expresses the irony in this sentence.
- Aim for humour in the essay. Not all satirical essays are funny. However, you should aim the use humour in this essay. The reason is that when you poke fun at your writing, it makes it quicker for readers to understand the overall idea. A lot of readers understand the humour fast, and using it is always beneficial.
Conclusively, a satirical essay is an essay type in which you exaggerate things and present them in a funny way. However, while writing this essay, you must take care of its main features. Some of the main features are discussed above. The writing tips discussed above will also help you a lot in writing this essay. So, also pay special attention to them.